We just keep swimming!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Homemade Tub Paint Success!!

Before I do my Letter of the Week update, I wanted to just post about this little GEM of an idea that wound up actually working out! Don't you love it when these simple little ideas go so fantastically?

Well, like most good ideas of late, I got this idea from Pinterest, or as I like to call it, The World's Best Website Ever. Kayla and the tub toy situation has been an issue for a while now. Her toys seem to get grossed up so fast that I wound up throwing most of them away. She has a few dolls left, and then some easy-to-bleach cups and stuff... but it's all pretty boring. She actually doesn't even play with most of it any more. So I've been having some issues with finding something she will actually enjoy in the tub.

I've bought more crayons and tub-art things that I can't even give you a general idea of what I've spent. Art is one of her favorite things, so these crayons would be perfect if they all weren't so horrible. Most of the time they don't leave visible marks on our (unsightly) yellow tub (seriously, who thought that mustard yellow was a good color for a tub?) and when they do actually color they wind up turning into a mushy, not-crayon-y mess after only one or two baths.

So, without further ado, the awesome solution that kept Kayla entertained: homemade tub paints.


The best part- SUPER cheap to make. 

I invested a little more than I will in the future because I bought the brushes and the little plastic cups specifically for this. If you have cups and brushes laying around, then you don't even need to worry about that much. 

What you need:
1.) Shaving Cream- I got sensitive skin kind just because it will be in the water with her.
2.) Food coloring- A.C. Moore sells some in the baking section and always has a coupon. A pack of 4 concentrated gel food colors cost me $1.50
3.) Container for the paints- small cups or muffin tins.  I spent $1 on the pack of 3 from the Dollar Tree
4.) Brushes- Another Dollar Tree pack of 3 for a buck!

That's it. 

Put the shaving cream in the cups:

Add a few drops of food coloring:


Have a happy kiddo:






She loved it!!And now she keeps asking to take a bath! 

Finally- a bath time activity that makes the both of us happy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment