We just keep swimming!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Back to Preschooling

I wish I remembered to update this blog more often. Blogger, for some reason, doesn't let you change your log in email address. I'm stuck using an old gmail address and I hate having to deal with remembering the extra information.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I'm getting back into the swing of doing preschool with Kayla. We were going to start Five in a Row last month, and I was super excited. In fact, I'm still excited to start, but I realize now that it's just not the right time for that for her. My friend, Jen, sent us the curriculum and we started buying some of the books to go along with it. It's really geared towards kids who are slightly older (around 4) or maybe kids who are her age but not so crazy. I struggle as it is to get her to listen to stories- even shorter ones. These books are a little longer and require some actual concentration. She's too hyper to get anywhere at this point. My plan is to try to read them in parts to her from now until we try again, and also keep them for bedtime. She likes stories at bed time best and I think enjoys longer ones so she can stay up a little later. I think it'll be the best way to introduce them to her, so when we start again she'll be really ready.

For now I'm back to using the next step in the Letter Of The Week program I was using before. We just finished the first week and I think it's going well once again. For now, she learns best when we can involve a lot of play, music, and art. Plus, this curriculum allows for a lot of flexibility and I can be a little more creative. Instead of focusing on one story, I can basically do anything I want as long as it focuses on a certain letter.

The site is letteroftheweek.com and I recommend it. Kayla learned a ton with the preparatory curriculum and she's showing a lot of promise with the preschool curriculum, too. I like that each day only calls for an hour worth of 'school' stuff, but Kayla tends to do things spread out over the whole day that add up to much more than that. We do a ton of art and coloring things because she's very interested in that stuff. I know that I'll have to start working on a more structured day for her, especially once we get closer to Kindergarten, but it's so far away that I don't want to even worry about it right now. She's thriving this way and learning a lot so I don't want to risk it.

This week is B week. I'm looking forward to finding a bakery and taking her there!! I wanted to go Apple Picking for A week but came down with a massive cold/cough thing and haven't been really up to getting out and about so that had to be skipped for now. I'll still probably take her anyway but it won't be so relevant. Oh well, still fun.


*****Off topic----- In unrelated news, baby is doing well so far. I'm 21 weeks and 1 or 2 days, and we found out last week it's a second girl. I'm happy, and Kayla wanted a little sister so I'm even more excited she gets what she wanted. Brian was disappointed because he wanted a son, and we know after this baby we are D-O-N-E, done! M-O-O-N, that spells DONE! (The Stand, anyone?). Anywho, I'm still very glad. Aside from the fact that we get to reuse most of Kayla's stuff, I feel comfortable with girls already. A boy would have been sort of scary. Like I'd have to relearn everything over again for some reason. So I feel more prepared and ready to go. The nursery is coming along. I'll make another post soon once the room looks less disastrous and more nursery-like. I made the curtains and they turned out pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself! Not PERFECT, of course, but for my first time I was very content. I have a lot of plans for DIY things in there, if only I could get Brian to get HIS mountains of stuff out so we can get baby's stuff in! GAHHH!!
Baby is still nameless, btw.


That's all for now! I just came online to print up some letter B things and decided to drop in. I'll really try to update more.

No comments:

Post a Comment